Author Topic: Your L4D3 Predictions  (Read 25674 times)

ProdigySim

• View Profile
Your L4D3 Predictions
« on: January 07, 2014, 02:19:54 pm »
Everyone seems to want to make predictions about L4D3, myself included. I thought it would be fun to have a little place to officially make your predictions about the game so we can look back on it and see what came true.

Feel free to predict away about anything: Features, announcement/release dates, boycott status.... anything!

Right now all I have is that I predict there will be an official announcement of l4d3 by June 2014 :)

Visor

• View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Your L4D3 Predictions
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 03:03:23 pm »
Right now all I have is that I predict there will be an official announcement of l4d3 by June 2014 :)

You're not taking any wild guesses, I see.

I think there will be new SI and maps! See what I did there? 8)
$10 says you aren't anywhere near a controlling position of the L4D3 scene in any continent when it happens.

Thing is he does what he wants, cause his able to and we are letting him do that. He abuses hes place and power in this community and people like me get banned for no reason. Only thing visor wants is more and more control so he can do what ever he wants.

Sir

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 03:10:01 pm »
I predict it will be a big disappointment and Visor bawls his eyes out.
Group Owner of :| SirPlease
Config Dev :| Zonemod 1.9.6

ProdigySim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 03:14:43 pm »
You're not taking any wild guesses, I see.

I think there will be new SI and maps! See what I did there? 8)

Some other people were making other guesses about the announcement time being as late as November so I thought it was still relevant.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 03:23:25 pm »
I predict a new game mode + revamped / reworked survival mode. I think tweaks to versus / scavenge are obvious. I also expect a hatconomy, seeing as they made it work in csgo and dota 2.

mads-wm3

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 03:26:50 pm »
I'll play it for a few months then go back to l4d1.

^^

Icy Inferno

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 03:31:16 pm »
I'm predicting that we'll see them try to apply the excellent supporting systems that we see in Dota 2 and CS:GO to help sell the game to a wider audience. Matchmaking, virtual economy, and spectator/esports support are three areas in particular that I think Valve realizes are particularly effective in those titles' continued success; the excellent matchmaking in those two titles is definitely the main thing that's gotten me to play them (after watching a healthy amount of live content enhanced by the spectator support).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:34:55 pm by Icy Inferno »

Luckylock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 05:06:56 pm »
I just want survivors to be less OP, also a decent matchmaking system would be nice for a change. Maybe a scoring system that's not completely retarded... also a way to turn off vocalize spamming, etc, etc and etc.

NF

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 05:10:43 pm »
I don't think Valve will promote the "esport" angle for L4D3. They've made it clear many times that L4D is supposed to be random and unpredictable, and I remember chet once saying on Steam Forums "this is left4dead, not counterstrike" in regards to removing the randomness in versus. That said they'll probably include cvars to remove randomness for the players that want it so we're not totally screwed.

3 new SI and new abilities for each SI, new maps, weapons, new gamemodes, etc. I coudl even see them adding that "controllable director" idea they toyed with in the early days of TF2. I think that could be kinda cool if done correctly, maybe you could control things from an overhead MOBA style perspective.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Valve took the series in a brand new direction and changed things up completely.

atomicsheep

• A pub player who likes to watch the Pro's go at it
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 05:38:18 pm »
Release date maybe sometime in first 6 months of 2014......MAybe in the last 6 months of 2014.....OR MAYBE NOT AT ALLLLL

I think ill go with November 29th Release date. No idea why, can just feel it in my bones
You can't beat an egg.........NO WAIT!

Icy Inferno

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 05:39:10 pm »
Maybe a scoring system that's not completely retarded...

That brings up an interesting point, actually. While Dota and Counter Strike had simple, successful scoring systems(pretty much just binary win/lose, though in CS's case it's made up of many short win/lose rounds) long before their most recent Valve iterations, Left 4 Dead has two scoring systems that each lean too far in one direction or the other. In vanilla L4D1, distance is almost worthless and it's all on the health honus. In vanilla L4D2, health bonus is nonexistant and post-saferoom survival bonus is incredibly miniscule compared to pre-saferoom distance points.

Valve needs to either find a "sweet spot" successful middle ground here, or otherwise just trash the scoring system completely and start over. Alternatively, they may try to come up with a "more competitive" mode, like I would argue, they tried to do with Scavenge (vanilla Scavenge is actually quite good, but that's perhaps a discussion for another time). It always seemed to me like the original vision for Versus was just "a fun, competitive co-op experience"; a way to play through the campaigns like you would otherwise, but with the additional challenge of player Specials. It turned out to be a very enjoyable competitive experience, but I'm not sure if Valve is yet ready to acknowledge that and run with it.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 05:42:59 pm »
Release date maybe sometime in first 6 months of 2014......MAybe in the last 6 months of 2014.....OR MAYBE NOT AT ALLLLL

I think ill go with November 29th Release date. No idea why, can just feel it in my bones

L4D1 and L4D2 were both released on November 17th. I think it's safe to say L4D3 would follow that pattern.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 05:44:59 pm »
That brings up an interesting point, actually. While Dota and Counter Strike had simple, successful scoring systems(pretty much just binary win/lose, though in CS's case it's made up of many short win/lose rounds) long before their most recent Valve iterations, Left 4 Dead has two scoring systems that each lean too far in one direction or the other. In vanilla L4D1, distance is almost worthless and it's all on the health honus. In vanilla L4D2, health bonus is nonexistant and post-saferoom survival bonus is incredibly miniscule compared to pre-saferoom distance points.

Valve needs to either find a "sweet spot" successful middle ground here, or otherwise just trash the scoring system completely and start over. Alternatively, they may try to come up with a "more competitive" mode, like I would argue, they tried to do with Scavenge (vanilla Scavenge is actually quite good, but that's perhaps a discussion for another time). It always seemed to me like the original vision for Versus was just "a fun, competitive co-op experience"; a way to play through the campaigns like you would otherwise, but with the additional challenge of player Specials. It turned out to be a very enjoyable competitive experience, but I'm not sure if Valve is yet ready to acknowledge that and run with it.

Oh my god I really wanna make a new config where there are no distance points, no health bonus, and 1 point for each survivor that makes saferoom. So making a map with 4 people = 4 points. It'd need some balance tweaks but it could be pretty cool. Just make saferoom, period. Epic.

Icy Inferno

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 05:52:13 pm »
Just make saferoom, period. Epic.

So pretty much 2009 CEVO 99% of the time except when stuff like this happened.  :P Rarity of wipes was definitely a thing once, there just wasn't a scoring system to support it (and it was a little boring watching most attacks just get shut down).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 05:55:20 pm by Icy Inferno »

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 05:56:43 pm »
So pretty much 2009 CEVO 99% of the time except when stuff like this happened.  :P Rarity of wipes was definitely a thing once, there just wasn't a scoring system to support it (and it was a little boring watching most attacks just get shut down).

Well I don't want it to be 99% survival rate. The ideal would be like 60-70% survival rate in that config. But yea just watching that video makes me sad.

A dedicated community website to competitive L4D and L4D2, ran by the community, for the community. L4DNation supports all continents of play and focuses on bringing together the community as a whole to a central hub of information.