Author Topic: Some real shit  (Read 3516 times)

ProdigySim

• View Profile
Some real shit
« on: October 19, 2013, 06:39:29 am »
I got fairly drunk and decided to pub l4d2.

I was a boomer. I jumped off of a building in No mercy 2. I scratched someone. The scratch went through and I got my points.

I blew up at the same time. No boom.

I scratched this guy. Obviously I made it to melee range. And yet, no boom.

Fuck.

I completely understand how that is possible. But after playing LAN L4D2 so recently... it's so disappointing. How the fuck can I be in melee range and not proxy boom on someone? Really lame.

L4D3 2014.

Visor

• View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: Some real shit
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 07:17:25 am »
L4D3 2014.

You of all people should know that no "netcode" improvement is going to smooth out or negate the latency. Best they can do is somehow ditch/neglect any jerky close-range mechanics, such as deadstopping.

Neutrinos as Interstellar Internet Broadband Communications in XXI century.

Nanoseconds ping! Fix'd for you.
$10 says you aren't anywhere near a controlling position of the L4D3 scene in any continent when it happens.

Thing is he does what he wants, cause his able to and we are letting him do that. He abuses hes place and power in this community and people like me get banned for no reason. Only thing visor wants is more and more control so he can do what ever he wants.

NF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 08:39:49 am »
To be honest I bet that boomer explosions have some luck element in it, like how large the radius is in some direction. Valve put random aspects in almost everything in the game, so it wouldn't surprise me.

ProdigySim

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 02:07:19 pm »
You of all people should know that no "netcode" improvement is going to smooth out or negate the latency. Best they can do is somehow ditch/neglect any jerky close-range mechanics, such as deadstopping.

Nanoseconds ping! Fix'd for you.
That's true, but if there's competitive elements to L4D3 there will be LAN events. I mostly just said L4D3 2014 for fun though.

To be honest I bet that boomer explosions have some luck element in it, like how large the radius is in some direction. Valve put random aspects in almost everything in the game, so it wouldn't surprise me.
I don't think there's a random element at play here. It's simply latency. My scratch was hitscanned and lag compensated (properly), but the boomer pop was hitscanned and lag compensated as well--rewinding the boomer's state at the time of the pop to when I was further in the air.

Honestly it's just the melee-range interactions that make these things a problem. I'm sure it would be the same on any engine. Well, I guess using extrapolation like goldsrc might be a little better.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 02:09:46 pm by ProdigySim »

SiDEWAYSBOX

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 07:59:30 pm »
I got fairly drunk

I stopped reading. :P

parky

• *bhops into ur girls DMs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 12:37:02 am »
sexytime10: its called BRO cuddling...
sexytime10: you do it wit hyour BROS
sexytime10: inotice how its not called a butfuck
LF qt boyfriend: is there a bro buttfuck
sexytime10: its called a brofuck and its completely gay stop being delusional

http://steamcommunity.com/id/anticipation/

winged_box

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 02:17:52 pm »
I managed to set-up my VPS with a L4D2 dedicated server and it was running fine.

However, it always start in coop mode even though I already set sv_gametype "versus" in my server.cfg

Any idea why is it so?

winged_box

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 02:19:44 pm »
A true bad ass

True true, truer than true.

Very true.

fig newtons

• View Profile
    • configs
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 05:46:36 pm »
I managed to set-up my VPS with a L4D2 dedicated server and it was running fine.

However, it always start in coop mode even though I already set sv_gametype "versus" in my server.cfg

Any idea why is it so?
Not sure. Any idea why you posted this in a reply to another thread instead of making your own thread?

A dedicated community website to competitive L4D and L4D2, ran by the community, for the community. L4DNation supports all continents of play and focuses on bringing together the community as a whole to a central hub of information.